Navan Educate Together is a National School funded by the Department of Education and Skills. It is also a member of the Educate Together organisation and therefore follows and supports its ethos.
At Navan Educate Together we strive to create a happy, safe, inclusive and nurturing environment in which all children are provided the opportunity to reach their full potential. We are committed to delivering an excellent education to our pupils which focuses on children’s learning and we aim to provide a learning environment that encourages and promotes the holistic development of each and every child attending our school. The uniqueness of each individual is celebrated and each member of the school community is treated with dignity and respect. We aspire to create an inclusive atmosphere which values each member of the school community for the contribution they make to school life. Children are encouraged to develop attitudes which will enable them to become respectful, responsible, considerate, open-minded and imaginative members of society.
Our School is :
- Equality based i.e. all children having equal rights of access to the school, and children of all social, cultural and religious backgrounds being equally respected.
- Co-educational and committed to encouraging all children to explore their full range of abilities and opportunities.
- Child-centred in our approach to education.
- Democratically run with active participation by parents in the daily life of the school, whilst positively affirming the professional role of the teachers.
Rather than the religious instruction programmes taught in denominational schools, Navan Educate Together teaches the Learn Together Ethical Education Curriculum. This curriculum has four strands :
- Moral and Spiritual – The general aim of the strand is to help develop in children a critical knowledge, understanding and awareness of right and wrong and a heightened awareness of social, ethical and moral standards through reflecting on the meaning and purposes of life. The strand should encourage and develop the individual on the journey to inner discovery and empower the child to make informed moral decisions.
- Equality and Justice – The general aim of this strand is to develop in children a critical knowledge, understanding and awareness of issues relating to human rights, equality, culture and diversity, social justice and social inclusiveness and to empower them to make a difference.
- Belief Systems – The general aim of this strand is to develop in children a critical knowledge, understanding and awareness of the teachings of religious and non-theistic belief systems and how these systems relate to our shared human experience. The emphasis will be placed on an exploration of the infinite variety and richness of humankind through nurturing a respect for a person’s right to hold and practice individual belief systems and through creating spaces where values can be articulated and critically examined.
- Ethics and the Environment – The aim of this strand is to develop in children a knowledge, appreciation and respect for their environment and to empower them to take an active role in its stewardship.
If you would like to know more about Educate Together, please go to www.educatetogether.ie